Monday, August 20, 2012

Comfort in Numbers

Once I start waking up in the middle of the night with worries about school, I know the start of a new school year is not too far away. (Sept 4th is first day with children for me). While I am not happy for others that have this affliction, I was comforted to discover today that there are many other teachers that this happens to as well. Another unexpected benefit of developing a PLN through Twitter it seems.

There was a blog post regarding beginning nervousness which was helpful for me to read this morning. Then there were at least a half dozen other references to the "dreams" beginning on individual Twitter feeds that I read during the day. Many teachers in the East face the beginning of school soon too it seems.

For me, I think the worries start because of the excitement and uncertainty of the unknown of a whole new set of students. How will things unfold? Will my plans for teaching this year work? What new version of adolescent behaviors will crop up this year? Can I handle them effectively? My most common dream is to wake up in a panic thinking it is the first day of school and I am late and have not planned a thing.

So, I was sorry to hear that so many other teachers are having their sleep disturbed as the beginning of the new year approaches. But it was comforting to know that I was not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment